We have seen some good and not so good times here at Eric and Sookie Lovers that we have posted about and some we have not. We might have had a good year in some areas and not so much in others. We thought we would give you some of our best and worst, be it television, books,movies or real life stuff that took us away from it all. Good or bad, best or worst,it is all the same and away we go.
First, we would like to have a moment of silence so to speak (blog wise) for ericizmine who this fandom suddenly lost this year. I would say that it tops the list at number one at being the worst thing to happen. I think a simple pink rose would suffice in this moment…
Since we all have different opinions and likes (outside of our love for Alex and Eric) I did not know quite how to do this so I am just going to wing it.
All four of us here agreed that 2013 was definitely the best for Alex for he had a banner year. April brought us What Maisie Knew, May gave us The East and Disconnect, June brought us True Blood where Alex was once again brilliant upon brilliant. In October, he was filming in South Africa for the movie ‘The Giver’ and November and December brought us his trek to the South Pole with the charity ‘Walking with the Wounded’. His guest appearance on Eastbound & Down was brilliant and in Cut Copy’s official video for ‘Free Your Mind’! You might read these things mentioned again later in the post. Where Alex is concerned there is no such thing as repetition…lol!
Let us not forget his sexy Calvin Klein ads that was the talk of the internet and constant Tumblr reblogs!
Here is hoping for more Alex goodies in 2014!
WORST: He was not at Comic Con 2013 which we were all disappointed about but understood. It would have been a nice bonus for B who happened to be a SDCC!
We did make individual lists of our own for best and worst and will be delighted to share those with you.
FAVORITE THING OF 2O13 – True Blood Season 6
What I loved: Eric Northman, completely naked Eric Northman (Sweden’s living answer to Michelangelo’s “David”), Eric seducing and turning Willa, Eric impersonating humans, Eric ripping up Vamp Camp, Eric being Sookie’s hero, Eric trying to save Nora, Eric versus the Governor (until Bill spoilt it), Sookie staking Bill, Officer Jason Stackhouse (until he met Violet), Ben/Warlow (until he met Bill), the return of Sarah Newlin, Steve Newlin’s true death and his final words, True Blood making me laugh again, Pam, Tara, Nora, Willa, Ginger, Ginger’s coffin for 2, Lafayette’s tea party, Arlene, Holly, Adilyn and especially Sheriff Andy Bellefleur.
What I didn’t love: Pretty much all of the finale that wasn’t completely naked Eric Northman or Andy Bellefleur, the writers not knowing what to do with Bill Compton 3 seasons after he outlived his usefulness to the dynamics of the show, Ben/Warlow (after he met Bill and turned into a ridiculous character), Violet, and last but certainly not least Sookie’s stupid decisions (rescinding Eric’s invitation, agreeing to Warlow’s plan and shacking up with Alcide).
Other things I loved to watch in 2013: Catching Fire, Death Comes To Pemberley, Downton Abbey, Vikings, Hemlock Grove, Silver Linings Playbook, The Killing, Broadchurch, Les Miserables.
1. On a personal level, ‘WE BOUGHT A HOUSE’
2. When Sookie staked Bill in Eric’s defense. This makes my worse list too, because Bill didn’t die the ‘true death’.
3. Is a continuation of YEAR OF SKARS: Alex appearing in the Calvin Klein commercial for “Provocations”, and his guest appearance on “Eastbound & Down” and in the music video for Cut Copy’s “Free Your Mind” were highlights for me.
4. Reaching over 11,000 views in one day on ESL on August 20, 2013. And we reached the milestone of over 2,000,000 total views EVER, which is creeping ever closer to 2,100,000 every day! Thanks so much for your loyalty and devotion!
1. Bill not dying when Sookie staked him.
2. Sookie being willing to die for Warlow and Bill, but never for Eric.
3. Even though the show has disappointed me in the past… Knowing this will be the very last season of True Blood makes my worst list, because of not being able to see our fave characters anymore makes me sad. (I’m not saying it should continue, I just don’t want to say ‘goodbye’.)
4. EP Brian Buckner makes my worst list for being the worst EP and writer of a TV series. Season 6 started off so good, but ended up sucking SO BADLY – not even seeing Eric’s Gracious Plenty could make up for that craptastic ending for me.
1. Year of Skars… April brought us WMK, May brought us Disconnect and The East, June brought us TB, the Free Your Mind video, October had him filimg in SA and November/December he skied to the South Pole with a prince. (Note: This was so good that I had to start the post off with this)
2. Being able to attend Comic Con and being able to meet up with fellow fans and friends.
The end of the 50 Shades emails because they mentioned Alex. My alerts were flooded before the cast (and recast) that role that it was tough to find the news.
You guys… you all rock my world.
1. I don’t think anything can top loosing Ericizmine… (a few days after I lost a mentor)
Radioactive… killed me. I still cringe when I hear the song on the radio.
I have been blessed with great friends and family and writing with these lovely ladies here at ESL has been the best. I hope we have another banner year! Love you Evie, Erika and B!
1. Sleepy Hollow- A new interesting take on the Headless Horseman Tale, it is refreshing.
2. The Witches of Eastwicke- Title says it all
3. Parenthood- The best family oriented show out there and they are not afraid to tackle the big issues as they all are wearing their big boy pants. If a viewer can’t take the heat, then stay out of the Parenthood Kitchen!
4. The Originals- Better than The Vampire Diaries in that at least there is no BITCHY, WHINY Caroline. Let’s hope she never crosses over but then again she is a much more likeable vampire when she is around Klaus.
5. Criminal Minds- Always a must see, the show just gets better and better.
6. The Big Bang Theory- Again a must see, just gets better with age.
7. Hemlock Grove- Netflix Original based off the book of the same name and was very awesome
8. The Walking Dead- Love this show
9. ERIC ‘FUCKING’ Northman- Need I say more?
10. Alexander Skarsgård- Always the bright spot in a day
11. Dowton Abbey
12. Blue Bloods
13. Sons of Anarchy- It is refreshing to watch a show that is not afraid to take chances while staying true to it’s original concept and still keep viewers guessing. Kudos!
1. What Maisie Knew- One of the best movies of 2013 easily and no it is not because I am biased. This movie hits you in all the touchy ways a movie should.
2. Catching Fire- I was so pleased with this adaptation because it was so faithful to the book and caught the essence of the turmoil and Katniss and Peeta just right.
3. The Hobbit- I love anything coming out of the Tolkien book series as it is just magical. Loved seeing Legolas again.
4. Silver Linings Playbook- Feel good movie of the year and where we got one of the best GIFS ever! Jennifer Lawrence (who won an award for this movie) and Bradly Cooper were ACES in this movie.
Those are just a few of the movies I loved as there were plenty more.
Books: I was recently turned on to the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon and have since made my Mother fall in love with them as much as I did. Finding out that it was going to be a new series on Starz in the new year was just icing on the cake for me. Chicagoland Vampire Series or CLV as it is affectionately known is also a must read. Anything by John Grisham is a must read for me and loved Sycamore Row! In preparation for a movie that is being made, I read the Giver and it was an awesome book and I plan on reading the others. I have so many books I can name that I loved but my list alone on this topic would take up most of the post.
I may be different than the rest of my fellow bloggers here at ESL but for me True Blood Season 6 was the absolute worst. The only highlight was the mad acting skills of Alexander Skarsgard. As usual the season started off on a good note but then quickly fell flat when it became apparent that it no longer knows where it is supposed to go. I had high hopes for the character of Ben/Warlow and in the end it was a big disappointment because it was obvious the writers did not think this character through. He could have had a major impact and turned this story all around but alas they dropped the ball. Eric was his bad ass vampire self and the only character who had a real storyline that had meaning and depth and then the writers had to go and muck that up with that crappy ass finale.
The final worst thing of 2013 was the end of what could have been a great end to a book series we all loved (despite continuity errors of which there were many), a book series that turned out to be the most shoddy and hastily written ending ever, with no regard to the previous books written whatsoever. I believe one of our readers described it as being ‘the apocalypse the Mayans were talking about…..lol! You all know who and what it is so that is all I have to say about that.
Well that’s it folks for me, until the New Year that is! Have a great rest of 2013 our faithful readers and stay safe out there! Happy New Year!